Once you’ve decided to have breast augmentation, the next step is selecting a plastic surgery practice in Sacramento. Choosing the right surgeon to perform your procedure can feel overwhelming–but it doesn’t have to be a difficult process. Here, you’ll learn my top 3 tips for selecting the right breast augmentation surgeon.
1. Always look for a board-certified plastic surgeon. The most important qualification you can look for in your plastic surgeon is board certification. A surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery has had 6 to 8 years of additional training after medical school. Three of those years are spent performing plastic and reconstructive surgery as a resident surgeon–a qualification that is unique to board-certified plastic surgeons.
Legally, any medical doctor can perform breast augmentation. In fact, some doctors who have no training or background in plastic surgery promote themselves as “cosmetic surgeons.” A cosmetic surgeon is not the same as a plastic surgeon, and even a board-certified cosmetic surgeon is not the same as a board-certified plastic surgeon.
Cosmetic surgeons can have backgrounds in specialties unrelated to plastic surgery, such as dermatology or ophthalmology. The training to become a board-certified cosmetic surgeon is drastically different from becoming a board-certified plastic surgeon. Furthermore, the “American Board of Cosmetic Surgery” is not even recognized as a true board by the American Board of Medical Specialties.
Because I underwent certification, I understand firsthand the rigorous amount of work that’s required to become a board-certified plastic surgeon. But my training and education didn’t end after my residency. To maintain my certification, I must continually stay up-to-date on the newest plastic surgery research and pass written exam requirements every few years. This ensures my patients receive the latest, proven plastic surgery techniques.
2. Look for someone who listens and also asks you questions. Good communication is key for an attractive breast augmentation result. You should feel comfortable enough with your plastic surgeon to ask any questions you may have–including those related to their surgical skills or qualifications. Some questions you might want to ask your surgeon include:
- How many breast augmentation procedures have you performed?
- What is your complication rate?
- Do you have any before-and-after photos I can view?
A good plastic surgeon will listen to your concerns and thoroughly answer all your questions. But, a really great plastic surgeon will ask you questions, too. Your surgeon should ask you questions you haven’t even thought of, including topics about how your new implants will fit your lifestyle or if you’ll have someone who can help care for you during your recovery. This kind of open dialog shows that your surgeon is looking out for your best interests and has your health and well-being at heart.
3. Find someone who shares similar aesthetic preferences.
You’ll want to make sure that your plastic surgeon’s aesthetic matches your own. Every plastic surgeon has preferences about what they find most attractive or flattering, and their results reflect this.
If you want a subtle, natural-looking result, look for a surgeon who is more conservative. One way to do this is by browsing their photo gallery. If the women in the before-and-after photos look naturally enhanced, rather than disproportional, there’s a good chance your results will look natural too.
Start Your Search Now
If you’re searching for a breast augmentation surgeon, contact us today to schedule an appointment for a consultation or call us at (916) 929-1833 to learn more about your breast augmentation options.