Tummy tuck surgery is one of the most popular requests at my Sacramento plastic surgery practice. This body sculpting procedure helps slim, shape, and flatten the stomach when diet and exercise can’t. My patients who choose tummy tuck surgery enjoy a younger-looking, trimmer waistline with fewer unwanted bumps and bulges.
Why Get a Tummy Tuck?
Many people choose to have a tummy tuck because they have excess skin and fat around their midsection that doesn’t respond to diet or exercise. Loose abdominal muscles that are caused by aging, pregnancy, or dramatic weight loss can also be corrected with this procedure. In many situations, a tummy tuck is often the only way to tighten and tone the abdomen.
I typically recommend tummy tuck surgery for:
- Men and women who are healthy, don’t smoke, and are in good physical shape
- People who struggle with a belly “pooch” despite having a healthy lifestyle
- Women who are bothered by sagging abdominal skin that didn’t “bounce back” after pregnancy
- Individuals who have recently experienced significant weight loss and have loose skin and fat around their waistline
Which Type of Tummy Tuck Is Best?
There are different ways to perform a tummy tuck. At my Sacramento practice, I tailor every procedure to each patient’s unique anatomy and body type. This means I may perform a mini or full tummy tuck depending on:
- Your individual situation
- The results you hope to achieve
- Whether you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck
Each procedure offers its own set of benefits, and determining which approach is best requires a thorough evaluation and consultation.
What’s a Full Tummy Tuck?
A full tummy tuck is ideal for someone who needs a greater amount of skin and fat removed as well as muscle tightening. This technique addresses skin and fat both above and below the belly button.
A full tummy tuck is performed by creating an incision that runs from hipbone to hipbone. Unnecessary skin and fat are then removed, and the abdominal muscles are tightened. If the extra skin and fat extend far into the waist, I will sometimes recommend lengthening the incision to remove this tissue as well. I often use liposuction during tummy tuck surgery to help reduce unwanted fat and slim the waistline.
Benefits of a full tummy tuck include:
- Muscle repair above and below the belly button
- More noticeable, dramatic results
- Removal of a large amount of excess skin and fat
- Reduced or eliminated stretch marks
What’s a Mini Tummy Tuck?
A mini tummy tuck is most beneficial for people who are already in good shape and who do not need muscle tightening. During the procedure, a small amount of skin and fat is removed below the belly button only. The benefits of this approach include:
- Smaller incisions with minimal scarring
- Less invasive
- Shorter recovery time
- Natural-looking results
If you want to see the results you might expect from a tummy tuck, visit my before-and-after photo gallery to view real results of some of my tummy tuck patients.
If you’re interested in learning more about your options for tummy tuck surgery, request a consultation online or call my plastic surgery office in Sacramento at (916) 929-1833 or Granite Bay at (916) 773-5559.