Eyelid surgery is a very popular cosmetic surgery. From reducing bags under the eyes to correcting sagging skin and fine wrinkles, eyelid surgery treats a wide variety of issues. It gives you a refreshed and more youthful look without obvious signs of surgery. Eyelid surgery enhances your natural appearance by restoring a smoother, firmer look to the skin around your eyes.
Before scheduling your procedure, let me share with you some important considerations which I always discuss with my eyelid surgery patients here in Sacramento:
- Do your research. If you are considering plastic surgery, it is important not to rush into the decision. Find a board-certified surgeon in your area with years of experience in facial plastic surgery. If you choose an inexperienced plastic surgeon and end up with complications or unsatisfactory results, undergoing a revision procedure with another surgeon can be very expensive—and not all surgical mistakes can be fixed.
- It’s normal to be nervous. Our job as surgeons is to try and make you feel as comfortable and safe as possible. This is another reason it is important to choose a surgeon with the proper training and experience. His or her qualifications should be a source of comfort and reassurance to you. Another way to calm your nerves is to be well-informed about your surgery. Having the background knowledge about eyelid surgery helps remove some of the mystery, which can be comforting. You can get this information by asking questions at your consultation and visiting respected online forums such as RealSelf.com. In our experience, patients who ask plenty of questions get the most out of their consultation. Good communication with your surgeon can lead to better results.
- It’s not just for women. Eyelid surgery is one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures for men. Eyes are often the first features to show signs of aging, and the development of wrinkles and droopy eyelids can cause men to look more tired than they feel. An experienced plastic surgeon can tailor the procedure to the male face, ensuring results that look natural, youthful, but still masculine.
- Swelling will go down faster if you don’t wear eye makeup or contacts. Most surgeons will recommend avoiding makeup and contacts for the first 1 to 2 weeks. Your eyelids need time to recover, and waiting two weeks after surgery will help prevent irritation and guarantee the incision area is healed. Additionally, you should try not to touch your eyes because this can cause irritation, inflammation, and even (rarely) infection.
- Wait a year for full results. Be patient; good things take time. It’s natural to focus on nothing but the results after surgery, but you must let yourself heal. Post-op swelling will prevent the true results from showing for months. The eyes may even heal at different rates, producing results that look asymmetrical. This is temporary. Try to stay positive during this time; eventually it will all be worth it.
Whether you want to improve your appearance or correct a functional problem with your eyelids, eyelid surgery can rejuvenate the area surrounding your eyes. If you want to learn more about the procedure, you can call our office in Sacramento at (916) 929-1833 or Roseville at (916) 773-5559 to schedule a consultation.